Flow of Webinar

Hello Webinerds,

I’m looking to change up the flow of our webinars. For several years we always had this type of flow:

1. Moderator - Opening, instructions, housekeeping and speaker intro
  2. Presenter(s) - Presentation including slides, polls, and video
  3. Moderator & Presenter(s) - Q&A
  4. Moderator - Closing comments, conclusion and webinar survey reminder

Is anyone doing anything different? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe promotion of the next webinar through the CTA and maybe your archive as well? (If you have on-demand webinars.)

We’ve used a very similar method as you and for the most part, but we’ve tried a few different things.

One thing that worked pretty well and was much more interesting was having an interview or panel style presentation, where we have 2-3 speakers and one acts as the secondary moderator and bring up questions and interjects points so the whole thing feels conversational.

Beyond that, nothing else new, as most people are used to the standard format now.

2 Likes

Similar to Miles. Bringing in 2+ speakers and 1 acts more in moderation role, makes it like a news talk TV show and not boring!

1 Like

We pretty much use the exact same flow in our webinars. However, we have started to mix in questions from the moderator into the presentation and have a bit of discussion between the presenters, which has been positively received

1 Like

More and more talkshow style & coffee table style webinars as it is far more interesting to see people talking than to watch a slide. However, keeping in mind that sometimes, slides are needed to explain.

And let me ask you a question as well: Is housekeeping still needed?

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about using the “hold music/video” section as the place I can have my “house keeping” stuffs. Today, my on-hold video is one which talks about our product but with 5 minutes of loopable video, I could most definitely fit something fun in there regarding housekeeping.

2 Likes

Hello Monique! Yes, housekeeping is needed to explain to our viewers on how to earn continual education credit (certificate) for the webinar. Attendees can’t just sit through the webinar and earn a certificate for attending our webinars. They are required to click on at least 70% of the polls.

1 Like

I try to add interactive elements to keep them interested.

1 Like

I think that flow is pretty standard in webinars. I’ve been trying to use more webcams and host panel webinars. I’m going into 2020 exploring new ways to change the flow as well. Thinking of adding some audience Q&A throughout (seeded questions #winkwink) and more video content. Looking forward to seeing more suggestions in the discussion.

2 Likes

We’ve followed a similar flow as well. Like many others have said, I feel like that’s a pretty standard way of doing webinars. We are working on incorporating a poll at the beginning. This way we get them interested and engaged right at the very start.

1 Like

Same here - trying to incorporate a little lighthearted humor with the presenter for the Q&A and Introduction just to keep attendees on their toes. I have my presenter ask me, “How do they ask a question?” and I reply, “Glad you asked! Just type a question or comment in the Q&A box and we’ll answer it when the webinar is done.” The general flow of the presentation is mostly the same as it ever was…

Untill recently we did not incorporate that many engagement in our webinars… I don’t know why but people find it scary to work with for instance polls but I am now guiding them more into adding them. And even this week I hosted my very first own webinar and added A LOT of engagement… live webcam, 3 polls, open questions and getting back to them… even adding some humour elements. And for my next webinar I am even planning to host a live raffle. But for my first i got so many compliments. What I want to say it… start early with engaging your people and start adding humour and other live elements!

We started adding polling questions as we present to get opinions from the audience and then we show the results as part of the presentation. The questions have to be designed ahead of time and you chose where to insert them in the presentation slides.

I heard a webinar recently where they gave the speaker a break and talked about upcoming webcasts in the MIDDLE of the presentation. Really not as bad as it sounds! Also, because my audience tends to be older, they like the predictability of the way I run the webcast. Hitting them with too much at once causes a little discomfort! They are just now getting used to us using the camera!

1 Like

I like having Q&A throughout the webinar. My favorite is having multiple speakers each talk on a short segment of a topic, then a break for Q&A with that speaker, then moving onto an additional element of the topic with another speaker. We can then later break up the video into multiple shorter segments for different promotion.

For what we would consider a regular webinar our flow pretty much matches yours, with the exception that sometimes we handle Q&A throughout. However, we also host Coffee Chats which are panels of 2+. We have a back-end moderator handling Q&A and slides (if needed), while the host just serves up questions and conversation with our guests.

1 Like